Wednesday, February 6, 2013

cinnamon dreams


I love cinnamon. I love cinnamon sugar. I really love the smell of yeast and fresh baking bread. I really love late night baking. .....I digress.

If you follow me on Instagram then you might have seen that I made breakfast for my Sunday School class this past sunday. This is always a daunting task for two reasons: 1. everyone brings bagels & cream cheese or char siu bao's (chinese pork buns) 2. I like trying new recipes at times like these but I hardly ever get a chance to taste it before serving...scary. Recently I have been seeing a lot of recipes for pull apart and monkey breads, and one of my favorite bloggers, Joy the Baker, inspired me with her Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread. Tell me if you don't drool.



After studying for midterms on Saturday night I stayed up a little longer to make the dough to give it time to rise before baking it the next morning...not the best idea. When I started rolling it out the next morning it didn't seem to yield as much as I would have liked, so what was a girl to do? I was desperate to have enough breakfast for all those hungry collegians! At that moment I looked at my cinnamon sugar mix & lightening struck: cinnamon raisin pancakes!
Genius. I whipped up a batch while the bread finished baking and they were a hit! Consider it a pre-celebration for yesterday's National Pancake Day.

I adjusted the recipe just a little bit to what I had at the time..

Ingredients
{dough}
- 3 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. (1 envelope) active yeast
- pinch salt
- 3 ounces butter *added extra ounce to make up for lack of buttermilk*
- 1/3 c. milk *used non-fat*
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla

{filling}
- 1/4 c. sugar *reduced*
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 ounces browned butter

Directions
I followed Joy's directions including mixing the yeast with warm water and sugar before adding it in with the dry ingredients. The only difference was the cut in sugar content in the filling, and I also drizzled honey over the top of the bread right before serving to adding a slight "glazing" to moisten the dry crust.

Let me know if you try this recipe and link a picture of your bread so that we can all drool with you :) Midterms are over for me so time to celebrate! Have a blessed rest of the week!

lots of lovee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)